Using portions of your code

phpwcms is released under GPL. Use this forum to discuss the GPL or inform about possible offences against phpwcms' copyrights.
flosee

Using portions of your code

Post by flosee »

Hi Oliver, first off, great software package, very impressive. There are certain elements of your code which are very useful (particularly the image management tools and the css editor), and I am in the process of developing a php based open source enterprise environment, which will incorporate CMS, eCommerce, blogs, forums and many other elements.

My question though is this - I wish to use your source code (or segments of it) within my new application. I am more than happy to credit you on the support site for the application, plus leave your copyright notices in tact within the source code, but because the implementation of the functions will be within my own code, would you have a problem with me not including the phpwcms link on the rendered pages?

Let me know please, and thanks again for some great code.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

All you have to respect to is GPL2 - so your package must be released under GPL2 too.

There is no need to include link on rendered pages. Copyright and license are the important things.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
flosee

thanks

Post by flosee »

Thanks Oliver, thats what I assumed, but thought it good form to actually ask before just using! Code will be released under GPL2, aiming for beta release September, so will let you know by email or private message when its released as professional courtesy :)
Squarc

Post by Squarc »

Must the whole package/application be released under the GPL licence?? Or just the code used from phpwcms??
flosee

licensing

Post by flosee »

Technically, only the code which was initially GPL2 has to remain under that license, but you must ensure that your customer is aware which sections the license relates to and any license you put onto the rest of your package must make it abundantly clear that the original code segments are not covered as well as ensuring your own license doesn't impinge on the rights of the user to alter, distribute or copy the code which was initially GPL2.

For simplicity sakes, probably easier just to release your package under GPL2 as well - help keep the web a free place :)