Bad copying... or plain stealing?

phpwcms is released under GPL. Use this forum to discuss the GPL or inform about possible offences against phpwcms' copyrights.
Kosse

Bad copying... or plain stealing?

Post by Kosse »

Hey folks,

Look at this: http://www.summerjam.de
Then have a look at the orginal: (release 2007)
http://www.rototomsunsplash.com/index.p ... _frontpage
or use wayback machine to have a look at older releases.

This raises some issues:
(1) We, as webdesigners, of course "inspire" ourselves with what we see on the web.
(2) We, as webdevelopers, of course "inspire" ourselves with what we see on the web.
(3) We, as webmasters, of course "inspire" ourselves with what we see on the web.

But when you take (1) (2) and (3) together that's a lot...
So my personal comments:
Site summerjam looks good but I can only regret that:
1) No copyright about phpwcms on front page or any page (only login.php, but you have to be a phpwcms devotee to know that ;)
2) If you take a site and want to copy it, send at least an email or talk to the guy that put countless hours on building his site, or at least quote him in sources.
3) If you like a site and are planning to make a site ABOUT THE SAME SUBJECT using THE SAME CMS and using the SAME LAYOUT... well decency is that you talk to the guy (here Fulvio) that did all the work in the first place. Or at least associate him (that's what I would have done) when copying his site...
4) Worst part: they claim to be the biggest REGGAE FESTIVAL in Europe, which is pretty much the same as ROTOTOM SUNSPLASH FESTIVAL... (also BIG european reggae gathering). To quote someone: "If I'm Ferrari it's not smart to copy from McLaren..."
To quote their own website:
Copyright:

The author intended not to use any copyrighted material for the publication or, if not possible, to indicatethe copyright of the respective object.
The copyright for any material created by the author is reserved. Any duplication or use of objects such as diagrams, sounds or texts in other electronic or printed publications is not permitted without the author's agreement.
Well, at least this, one the one hand, shows that talented people are recognized for their work but sometimes get ripped off badly. (I don't believe they did this for free nor did Fulvio -who's main income is... making website- even had a thanks for all his work and help here in the forum)...
On the other hand, the original is ALWAYS better.

PS: To the guys from CONTOUR MUSIC Promotion, update this:
http://www.contour-music.de/index.php?jobs and add: We're looking for a very talented italian webmaster...

Cheers
DeXXus

Re: Bad copying... or plain stealing?

Post by DeXXus »

Greetz to you Kosse! :D
Kosse wrote: So my personal comments:
Site summerjam looks good but I can only regret that:
1) No copyright about phpwcms on front page or any page (only login.php, but you have to be a phpwcms devotee to know that ;)
I might be late to the party (webmaster may have changed things, by now) -BUT- I do find the phpWCMS acknowledgement comment (at least now) is present in the pages that can be chosen from the right menu. The redirect to music player page (upon site arrival) does not, but that may be an oversight

As to the rest of your comments, I fully agree, but hope you have some inside knowledge that an exchange -did not- take place between them and our great Fulvio? :wink:

Take care and Peace to you, man!!!
Respect,
-=DeXXus=-
Kosse

Re: Bad copying... or plain stealing?

Post by Kosse »

Hi mighty DeXXus!
DeXXus wrote:Greetz to you Kosse! :D (...)
I might be late to the party (webmaster may have changed things, by now) -BUT- I do find the phpWCMS acknowledgement comment (at least now) is present in the pages that can be chosen from the right menu. The redirect to music player page (upon site arrival) does not, but that may be an oversight
I might have overlooked that one, my bad...
DeXXus wrote: As to the rest of your comments, I fully agree, but hope you have some inside knowledge that an exchange -did not- take place between them and our great Fulvio? :wink:
Take care and Peace to you, man!!!
Respect,
-=DeXXus=-
Well, spoke to Fulvio today and he was not aware of this... I'd say he was rather chocked but as he is a gentleman he didn't want to point this out himself, so I did it. :p

And thanks for the insight about phpwcms and the words, take care

Cheers
marcus@localhorst

Post by marcus@localhorst »

1:1 lossless copies is the most important fact in this new society.

:twisted:

:wink:
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Update: they know (knew) it:
http://www.summerjam.de/forum/read.php?15,134303

I hate this... :evil:

Cheers