post released sites here made with phpwcms
Dan-G

Higround

Post by Dan-G »

Jensensen

Re: Higround

Post by Jensensen »

Hi Daniel,

really nice, appealing, tricky --> how was this show article in "main" on "The Flat" made with?
There's still the accordion on the page but Carousel as well...
Or is this one slider trick? Or a combination of all? Cool iframe effect even there's none...??!??
[but needs JS enabled - else someone gets linked to a mainly white page e.g. aid=31.phtml]

News page is "very clean" instead.
{so_much} | Knick-Knack. | GitHub
Umlaute im URL sind meistens immer Kacke.
Sir Erazor

Post by Sir Erazor »

Hey Daniel,

i liked the layout of the page. looks like luxury, thats good (i think so :D) ...
some points i have:
the site "contact" looks a bit irritating, when i look it the first time: there´s nothing, just the two parts of the accordion (win xp, firefox) - there it would be a good solution, to open the site with the "real" contact at the moment, when opening the page.

Like Jensensen spoke, the news page doesnt fit the others, because there you never used grafics, its just text and looks a bit hm... how to say ... boring, when i am looking first the other sites.

The parts "the flat" and "the house" i liked - but after visiting i missed a bit the pictures at the bottom of the page, perhaps u can use more pictures in the same style on the other pages? doesnt need to be interatctive like that, but just to use a layout, thats through all the pages.
rushclub

Post by rushclub »

very nice.
would like to stay there at the moment ;)

rush
3 (!) Jahre warten reichen mir. Ich bin erst mal weg.
Dan-G

Post by Dan-G »

rushclub wrote:would like to stay there at the moment
It's a nice place! :D

Sir Erazor wrote:the site "contact" looks a bit irritating, when i look it the first time: there´s nothing, just the two parts of the accordion (win xp, firefox) - there it would be a good solution, to open the site with the "real" contact at the moment, when opening the page.
On the flip side, I thought it was a nice opportunity to look at the background but then not everyone has time to appreciate the view...

Sir Erazor wrote:use a layout, thats through all the pages
I agree with this. from the design perspective the site is a bit of a concoction, at the time I was quite concerned that too many ideas had been involved.

Jensensen wrote:how was this show article in "main" on "The Flat" made with?
An ajax page loader was the solution here combined with the js carousel (teaser) - phpwcms is very flexible. There's no Accordion js enabled on the flat/house pages - just used the same CSS.

Jensensen wrote:needs JS enabled
:? sigh... you always pick me up on this Jensensen! If you have JS disabled not much of this site works lol...
Jensensen

Post by Jensensen »

Dan-G wrote: :? sigh... you always pick me up on this Jensensen! If you have JS disabled not much of this site works lol...
i don't want to bother you. usually JS is enabled, right you are. just wanted to point out that, if someone (because of search results by a search engine) lands on the page index.php?aid=31.phtml there will be no menu, navigation etc.
{so_much} | Knick-Knack. | GitHub
Umlaute im URL sind meistens immer Kacke.
Dan-G

Post by Dan-G »

Jensensen wrote:i don't want to bother you

I appreciate it! Just reluctant to do anything about it...

Jensensen wrote:if someone (because of search results by a search engine) lands on the page index.php?aid=31.phtml there will be no menu, navigation etc.
Now that is a good point. Can you exclude such articles from searches from within phpwcms or do you have to use robots.txt?
larmann

Post by larmann »

Just a little question: I never used a huge background image for the whole site, like you did with the picture of the valley. How can one adjust such an image to different screen sizes so that the site looks alike on my little laptop screen and on the huge desktop screen? Or shouldn't I pay attention to different screen sizes?

Thank you
update

Post by update »

Nice indeed- just had a look again. How did you do that carousel with the detail view? External JS? Is there a possibility to do that with the cms itself too?
It's mostly all about maintaining two or three customer's sites Still supporter for the band Mykket Morton. Visit Mykket Morton on FB. Listen Mykket Morton and live videos on youtube.
Now building a venue for young artists to get wet on stage, rehearsal rooms, a studio, a guitar shop - yes I'm going to build some guitars.
Dan-G

Post by Dan-G »

It's been a while now and I've only just picked up these comments but feel I should reply anyway.
larmann wrote:Just a little question: I never used a huge background image for the whole site, like you did with the picture of the valley. How can one adjust such an image to different screen sizes so that the site looks alike on my little laptop screen and on the huge desktop screen? Or shouldn't I pay attention to different screen sizes?
This background isn't massive but I would say that you can use your design judgement to use an image that will look good at a huge resolution such as 1920x1080 and also at smaller resolutions where the background gets cropped. The key for me was to make sure that the background image faded to a background color (in this case, black) and to center it using CSS.

Code: Select all

background: url(../../graphics/yourbg.jpg) #000000;
background-position: 50% 0%;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
claus wrote:Nice indeed- just had a look again. How did you do that carousel with the detail view? External JS? Is there a possibility to do that with the cms itself too?
To be more specific what I did was create a set of articles with title, text and photo in a category (e.g. "The House Articles") with blank templates. The carousel was made using a teaser CP (sort by category "The House Articles") with a template to suit the needs of my carousel. The next step was to add the necessary js into the carousel template for the articles to load by ajax. The page you open is under a different category - 'The House' and the article for that page contains the teaser CP and the neccessary code for the ajax. It isn't a full CMS solution but the end result is very clean as there is only one CP with any code and the client has been happily able to do updates.
update

Post by update »

Would you mind posting a HOWTO with the necessary parts? This would be great :)
It's mostly all about maintaining two or three customer's sites Still supporter for the band Mykket Morton. Visit Mykket Morton on FB. Listen Mykket Morton and live videos on youtube.
Now building a venue for young artists to get wet on stage, rehearsal rooms, a studio, a guitar shop - yes I'm going to build some guitars.