site for freelance journalist

post released sites here made with phpwcms
cyppher.nl

site for freelance journalist

Post by cyppher.nl »

Please have a look at http://www.vleugelsproducties.nl

This site is built on phpwcms 1.3.3 - credits to Oliver & all developing people :) - doctype XHTML 1.0 transitional.
It should work on all 'modern' browsers, in firefox the Tag navigation hovers won't display correctly 'though...

I tried to add Search Engine friendlyness into the site, no "?" in the URL and a readable content when CSS / images are not enabled.

I completely designed it, coded it in HTML and styled it in CSS. Also, I've made custom contentpart templates (teaser / articlelink).
Content is mostly added by my customer, the owner of the site. It's possible she's made some "beginners"-faults... :roll: but she's a fast learner!

So, let me know what you think of it, thanks!

cheers.
cyppher
How do you do? And how do you do your wife?
Klappstuhl28

Re: site for freelance journalist

Post by Klappstuhl28 »

Hi Cypher,

I have to concede that i don´t understand most of the words but isn´t it necessary to have something like an impress?
cyppher.nl wrote:in firefox the Tag navigation hovers won't display correctly 'though...

Firefox and Opera display the navigation correct. IE does not.
A useful tool to create a very basic vertical navigation:
http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/css-me ... ator.shtml

regards

lars
Lars

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein. - H. Jackson Brown -
Jensensen

Post by Jensensen »

hi cypher,

HOW / WHY
did you change link scheme

from --> /index.php?id=0.4.0.0.1.0
to ----> /0.4.0.0.1.0.page

:?:
{so_much} | Knick-Knack. | GitHub
Umlaute im URL sind meistens immer Kacke.
cyppher.nl

Post by cyppher.nl »

Jensensen wrote:hi cypher,
HOW / WHY
did you change link scheme
WHY:
I want to have a more Search Engine friendly URL-scheme. SEO guru's claim that search engines (and also humans) don't like the traditional URL-format of index.php?param=value&param=value etc. More often do we see formats like:
http://www.site.ext/categorie/page/paragraph/page.
phpwcms offers a basic URL-rewrite function in order to get more SE-friendly URL's, however I don't think this format (aid=12.phtml or 0.0.1.0.4.phtml) meets the real demands of SEO.

HOW:
Actually the link you found is placed manually in the content (wysiwyg-editor).
The linkformat (.page) is handled by the .htaccess file:

Code: Select all

# Default ReWrite settings for phpwcms
	# ===============================================
	# This will rewrite 0.0.0.0.0.0.phtml => index.php?id=0.0.0.0.0.0

(...)
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.page$ index.php?id=$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6
You see the default line:

RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.phtml$ index.php?id=$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6
so, it's actually very simple...

What do you all think of this SEO-theory?
And ofcourse I'm curious about what you think of the site.
cyppher.nl

Post by cyppher.nl »

Klappstuhl28 wrote: (...)but isn´t it necessary to have something like an impress?
What do you mean with an impress?
My client insisted a 'clean' homepage, without any teasing paragraphs or 'eye catchers'.

Firefox and Opera display the navigation correct. IE does not.
Do we have the same navigation in mind? What I meant was the Tags navigation in the right column. Yes I know, there's a CSS-fault which is accepted by IE-browsers. I actually think it has to do with the absence of height values in the LI css-declaration, because I set

li a {
   display: block; 
   width: 100%;
   height: 100%;
}
A useful tool to create a very basic vertical navigation:
http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/css-me ... ator.shtml
Could you be more specific concerning this tool? I prefer manual code writing (especcialy CSS) because I'd like to understand my own styling... :D

Thanks!
Klappstuhl28

Post by Klappstuhl28 »

Hi Cyppher,

sorry, what i meant was imprint. "Impressum" is the word in german. I think i mashed it up.

Yes, the right-column-navigation. Opera and Firefox display a wrong code wrong and that´s right. :?: :!: :?:

This tool creates a very basic navigation. The code is very simple and easy to understand.
Only you should change the details from px to em for example. Add a border and the colors and
you´ll get a code which will work in non-IEs as well.

lars
Lars

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein. - H. Jackson Brown -
cyppher.nl

Post by cyppher.nl »

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry, still don't get what you mean by "Imprint".
(...)an imprint is a brand name under which a work is published.
My client, who's a freelance journalist and textwriter, now works under the name "Vleugels Producties".
That's the brand mentioned on the site. (also url = http://www.vleugelsproducties.nl)

About the Tag-navigation:
My goal is to display a Tag Cloud with keywords or links with different fontsizes. The Tags you see, are actually rendered GT images. I've setup different styles ({GT:tag_XS} etc.) to display words in different sizes.
The listing is now an UL with list-items. My guess is that the height of the LI's are not set in CSS, therefore it is logically not possible to have a child <A> with height 100%.
The tool you mentioned does not meet my goals for this particular TagCloud listing/navigation.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this CSS-issue (apart from the tool you described)?
Thanks!
Klappstuhl28

Post by Klappstuhl28 »

Hi,

what i meant is something like:
http://www.abnamro.de/de/impressum.aspx

It seems that this is not necessary in the netherlands. I´ve checked a few sites and i haven´t found an "impressum" or however it should be named.

It would be much easier to comprehend when everything which influencing this would be in the same .css
I thought looking at the sourcecode the first time this should be a normal navigation. So, forget the tool.

Maybe you´d like to post the whole code?

lars
Lars

juergen

Post by juergen »

hihi

the only thing in germany that comes through without "Impressum" is the weather, but a little while ago I read it is made by CO2 :mrgreen:
Klappstuhl28

Post by Klappstuhl28 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... A funny imagination: A frustrated lawyer in front of his mailbox with his application for a restrictive injunction back in his hands with an endorsement on it "Petrus ??? unable to deliver - return to sender" :D

lars
Lars