www. ez wim .com

post released sites here made with phpwcms
sebnl

www. ez wim .com

Post by sebnl »

Hi Guys,

I recently released this website for a Telecom Cost Management company: www. ez wim .com

Yes its very blue, fitting the corporate identity 100% (and no i didnt design the logo).

(looks better in IE, please dont start about that. i had to stop tweaking because i was way beyond planning and budget already. also i have a developed a strong dislike for a specific type of webstandards-and-faul-browsers-wining-people so avoid me with that stuff to make sure you dont recieve anthrax in your mailbox )

I had kind help of some of you concerning the dhtml dropdown and a special hack for the testimonials which cost me hours to figure out. I also limited and slightly modified the backend, have hidden some channels and functions which are completely unneccesary (for this client).

Theres more than 70 categories, i'm not responsible for any of the content..

Screenie of the backend can be foundhere

its was quite a large project and i learned a lot, also about "estimating" and making sure that there's a plan of how to continue after the project (concerning support).

If any of you have questions about any aspect of this or such a project, PM me, its the least i can do after the help i got from people around here.

Comments/ feedback is also welcome (ofcourse)
Last edited by sebnl on Thu 22. Jun 2006, 14:12, edited 3 times in total.
kipara

Post by kipara »

Blue indeed, but in a nice way. I like it.

I like your code as well, so I don't understand your comment about "webstandards-and-faul-browsers-wining-people". BTW, be careful with that anthrax remark. These days, you get arrested for less. :P

I always develop in Safari or Firefox, then spend time tweaking for IE. Keeps me sane and probably results in better code at the end.

Cheers,

Kipara
sebnl

Post by sebnl »

Thanx for the comments.

You appreciate my code as well, so you clearly do not belong to that whining-group. I've put a lot of effort in it. Whining-people would start about whats not good first (but often have never ever ever written a site like this themselves) thats what i'm allergic for. And man there are so many of them...

This is similar to what I mean, it is a great article (and make sure you check out the comments, they are fun!) : http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/we ... -and-rolls

I develop in Topstyle Pro which uses IE as default for the preview. I then check in FF and tweak the worst issues for that browser out if it doenst take to much valuable time solving (and if any, im a quick learner).

If you focus on IE (first) you are doing what you are supposed to do (on a business level), delivering your client results efficiently. If they want more, like 100% of the users (try to) give them that too. If they dont want that dont serve it (unless you are not bothered by billing hours doing things you were not asked too).

So many times we designers think our targetgroup is designers (i suffer the same sometimes) which is not the case most of the time unless you are not interested in making money but in being a webstandards-whiner ;-)
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Nice site sebnl,

I like it, clean and simple, yet with a special touch to it.
You got to that special point where you managed to have CONTENT (quite different kinds of content) and DESIGN on the same page, yummy yummy... 8)

Nice idea to replace the edit button on backend BTW, will do the same :shock: my clients complain often about the too 'tiny' buttons ;)

All in all, it shows you have put efforst in it and the end result is VERY good.
Congrats

Cheers
sebnl

Post by sebnl »

Thanx for your compliments!
1996 328ti

Post by 1996 328ti »

Very nice. The more I see what others do the more I hate my own site. :)
Very crisp and clean.

Using Mac Netscape, 'search' is just one pixel higher than the search field.
sebnl

Post by sebnl »

1996 328ti wrote:Very nice. The more I see what others do the more I hate my own site. :)
Very crisp and clean.

Using Mac Netscape, 'search' is just one pixel higher than the search field.

thanx for the compliment. i have often the same, its just not healthy visiting designers websites. they make you feel... will like there are millions being better in what you do..

concerning the search pixel: if thats the only thing not ok then i am a very very happy man.

again thanx.
Alphanumeric92

Post by Alphanumeric92 »

What mod/addon did you use to create the css list style drop down menu? Is the menu controlled by PHPwcms?

Also, how did you make eveything have seperate html pages?

Thanks!

BTW,

Love the design and use of webstandards!
ff123

Post by ff123 »

I read the article at thinkvitamin which was quiet clear: just do your work and stop complaining. Article gives a lot of insight! :D
-- Vuurvos --
seb-nl

Post by seb-nl »

Alphanumeric92 wrote:What mod/addon did you use to create the css list style drop down menu? Is the menu controlled by PHPwcms?

Also, how did you make everything have seperate html pages?

Thanks!

BTW,

Love the design and use of webstandards!
I used the DHTMLMENU rt (by rtilghman) of which you can find version 2 here

The menu is controlled by the cms, except for the english channel. In that case the nav kept showing the dutch channel (and i couldnt easily solve it) so i hardcoded it in the EN template.

The urls are .phtml because i've turned the url rewrite on using .htaccess. if you want to know how, do a search for it on this forum, im sure there are good writings by active members here about it.

thanx for the compliment on the design ;-)
seb-nl

Post by seb-nl »

ff123 wrote:I read the article at thinkvitamin which was quiet clear: just do your work and stop complaining. Article gives a lot of insight! :D
Yes, it does provide many insights. Your interpretation is one of many possible out of it.

Mine is like yours with a thought added like: 'this guy thinks to know better, but could he do it himself or is he just talking.' That often does the trick, because most of the complainers are complaining simply because they cant do it themselves (or even form their own opinion).

I think the article is true when saying that you can roughly divide the people giving their opinion in whiners and doers. I more and more learned to recognise the first to pay more attention to the second.

Hooray for the builders and doers, who at least actually "add something".
seb-nl

Post by seb-nl »

ff123 wrote:I read the article at thinkvitamin which was quiet clear: just do your work and stop complaining. Article gives a lot of insight! :D
even though i could actually print your 7 words in 100point arial bold and put it on the wall as a productivity mantra. i'm sometimes a bit to critical about my own work, and should think a bit less and do a bit more...

thanx for that

:lol:
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

very nice, indeed!

but something is confusing me... the cap between the search field and the headlines... i don't know why, but i miss something there...

and the "print this page" and the "email this page" buttons are almost unreadable on my system... the fonts are to small or to height, i don't know...

just my 2 cents...
Greetz, tinoo
seb-nl

Post by seb-nl »

tinoo wrote:very nice, indeed!

but something is confusing me... the cap between the search field and the headlines... i don't know why, but i miss something there...

and the "print this page" and the "email this page" buttons are almost unreadable on my system... the fonts are to small or to height, i don't know...

just my 2 cents...
Hi tinoo

where the gap is, there is supposed to be a shiny flash product slide show, what system do you use?

also, if you have the time, please pm with a link to a screenshot.

thanx in advance.
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

hi seb-nl

screenshot is on the way... flash is installed on my firefox by standard plug-in...
Greetz, tinoo