Comments needed

discuss about sites that are just under construction or where experimental stuff is used
CyberShaman

Comments needed

Post by CyberShaman »

The site under construction is:
CubicReality.com

What do you think of the color? Too dark?
Is the text difficult to read? Which color?
Oh and does the site even show in your browser?

Any comments are welcome.
frold

Post by frold »

so dark that I cant see or read anything on this monitor!
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
CyberShaman

Post by CyberShaman »

so dark that I cant see or read anything on this monitor!
Do you mean you can't literally see anything (blank page)?
There's only text in the front page and in the news section.
I'm currently trying to decide the look of the site,
after that i'll go into content.

Thank for your feedback.
frold

Post by frold »

it is brown/grey text on a black background and on this computer at my work I cant see much - or difficult to read..

I would choose a font color which is in more contrast to the background
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

using a phillips lcd 20" the colours work fine except the black text on such a dark background is not such a good idea.
the beige is a little bright too: the contrast is a little sharp.
just a pennies worth of consructive... you understand ;)
CyberShaman

Post by CyberShaman »

it is brown/grey text on a black background and on this computer at my work I cant see much - or difficult to read..
hmm.

There must be some problem because the background is not black, it's more like dark gray (hex: 494949). It may have something to do with websafe colors which #494949 is not. Also the brown you see is light yellow.
But could the reason for black background also be in the phpWCMS page layout. In there i had color 000000 for the main block. I'm just wondering how important it is to use websafe colors.

Thanks again.
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I see a grey backgroud just fine - the light brown/yellow is just semantics ;)
I reffer to useing blacvk text over the grey & next to the yello: from a desing point of biew it is making my eyes work to hard just to read the text: subconsiioou;y if I am fighting to read something it had better grab me by the balls in the first line for me to put my eyes through the pain :)
if you are that confident of your subject matter and your audience then you can get away with most things. alterativly make something work well on the eye an people will read pages of blandness just because the it is to much work for thier eyes to look for the exit button :D

I have used a little humour (very little ;) ) in here but all true.

websafe colours are not so important these days: I can already hear the officianados footsteps comming - better run.
CyberShaman

CubicReality version 2

Post by CyberShaman »

Ok, i've changed the look completely. Little brighter this time. Finally dark text over light background :D .

CubicReality
Any comments?
How clear the news system seems?

I wrote my own script to display the article list. It's similar to {NEW:} except it only displays articles from "news" category. Also if article is showing it only display regular text and not a link.

One question:
When using {BROWSE:NEXT} is there anyway to limit it's usage to just one category. Now when i'm on the last article and press "next" it jumps to next category. Instead i would like to have that "next" link be disabled when viewing last article. Same goes for "previous" link.
cyber-james

Picture

Post by cyber-james »

Hello CyberShaman

your Picture in the Header looks not very 3-dimensional. Look, the warm Light comes from the left Side, but there it is dark and cold grey. ...

just a little detail ... :wink:

greez
cyber
CyberShaman

Post by CyberShaman »

cyber-james wrote:your Picture in the Header looks not very 3-dimensional. Look, the warm Light comes from the left Side, but there it is dark and cold grey. ...
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm still working with the graphics, so pretty much everything is unfinished/unpolished. I'm not even sure the site will look like that in the end. But one thing i'm sure of is, the text has to be dark and the background light. Only problem is that every piece i make tends to be too dark. :(
As you can see

But theres still summer left so maybe i can find a little brighter theme from the sunlight :D
cyber-james

Picture in Top

Post by cyber-james »

Titlepict: Yess! Looks very fine now! ... :D

greez
cyber
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Hi CyberShaman,

nice improvments! What about:

1) making your top menu letters in white? That would surely improve even more readability (or at least very light gray).
Like this:

2) change css a:links and a:hover to white instead of blue for the links (blue on gray doesn't look so pretty)

Cheers
CyberShaman

Post by CyberShaman »

Kosse wrote:1) making your top menu letters in white? That would surely improve even more readability (or at least very light gray).
It would be more readable indeed. I was just worrying that white letters would attract too much attention and doing so would break the balance.
Thanks for the effort btw. :D

I'm still trying to decide which way to go. Current theme just looks little too gray and boring. Although the header does have a nice atmosphere. 8)
Currently trying different base colors, little lighter this time. Here's one option:
Baby steps. Atleast i'm sure that there's going to be light back, dark text, main menu on top and detailed menu on left side. Something concrete to work with. :lol:

Now where did i put that photoshop? :?