Site visitor privileges

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
marco

Site visitor privileges

Post by marco »

Hi,

I am puzzled why does every user have to login before the site is displayed? This is not how most sites work, most content is accessible without any login. With the default installation I only get a welcome page
and login button.

If I login as a regular user, it seems that I get some limited admin privileges like creating articles. I would expect that a regular visitor does not have this privilege but should be able to navigate through the site and see the content.

Then, when I click on the article name, I get redirected to a blank page that only has the content I entered on the editing page.

How do I get the content to be displayed in a formatted web site page? I would have expected to have a default web site that displays the content.

So, how do I get site with a formatted page and content in that page?
How can I see this site without having to login?

Note that I could not update the defaults (see my prevous post).

Thanks for any help
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

Nobody has to be logged in to see a page in the frontend ;-) You have misunderstood something.

What you get if you start for the first time is only a standard index.html page. Delete it and you can use your own index.html or if you do not want to use an index.html your system will start the index.php. The index.php is the frontend file for creating the website.

To format a page you have to setup page layout. Then there is also (at the moment - I will change and transform this into database) the conf.template_default.inc.php. There you define any class and so on. And then you have to create a template to fill in additional layout content or "static" stuff.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
marco

Post by marco »

Thanks for the response. It was also my distinct impression that I am missing something. :(

Being a beginner, I am not quite sure what the templates I am supposed to create should contain, probably a mix of html and some php
but which file(s) do I take as an example? I'll look some more but I also
have the problem mentioned in this posting that prevents me from saving the templates.

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104#104

:?: But what do I have to do to "define any class and so on"?

:?: Do I have to write some php code from scratch or do I include some tags or code snippets from your files?

:?: From what I see, I would expect that I should probably be able to use the layout that gives me the login as a model for the site, but what files do I have to modify?

I realise these are all beginner questions, some of the easiest things are not so obvious when just starting out with this stuff. :D
marco

Post by marco »

Thanks for the response. It was also my distinct impression that I am missing something. :(

Being a beginner, I am not quite sure what the templates I am supposed to create should contain, probably a mix of html and some php
but which file(s) do I take as an example? I'll look some more but I also
have the problem mentioned in this posting that prevents me from saving the templates.

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104#104

:?: But what do I have to do to "define any class and so on"?

:?: Do I have to write some php code from scratch or do I include some tags or code snippets from your files?

:?: From what I see, I would expect that I should probably be able to use the layout that gives me the login as a model for the site, but what files do I have to modify?

I realise these are all beginner questions, some of the easiest things are not so obvious when just starting out with this stuff. :D
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

I will try to give a quick install and quick how to use templates this evening.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
marco

Post by marco »

Oliver Georgi wrote:I will try to give a quick install and quick how to use templates this evening.
That would be great!

A php template with the same layout as the admin page, a couple of menu items and some content would go a long way... It would be
the start of a nice site layout without having to do too much digging
into the other files to figure out things.

Great work! :D