Content not displaying - What am I doing wrong?

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
wjtaylor

Content not displaying - What am I doing wrong?

Post by wjtaylor »

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've had to design a website and use PHPWCMS. I've installed 1.4.7 (2010/12/27, r412).

I'm trying to create my site, but am having difficulty getting things to display.

From what I remember and have read:

1. Create layout
2. Create template
3. Create site structure
4. Create articles

I see that there is a sample header and footer created at install. It puts everything into the Main section. I have tried putting text into the header and footer sections of the template and giving them height in the layout screen, but I cannot get them to display.

I do notice <div> markup in the text that displays by default. Is this needed? Also, I seem to remember something about {LEFT}, {RIGHT}, etc. tags. I think they were used to link the template to the layout. It doesn't seem to make sense to me now, however.

One more thing, I am trying to add a "Contact Us" form, I see a email form labeled (old) can this still be used, or is there a better replacement for this?

Thanks,
WT
wjtaylor

Re: Content not displaying - What am I doing wrong?

Post by wjtaylor »

I set it to table layout, until I get reaquanted with the program again. It seems to be working well.

The email form (old) still doesn't send me mail though.
flip-flop

Re: Content not displaying - What am I doing wrong?

Post by flip-flop »

Dont´use the old table layouts. This is a very old technology and no longer state of the art.

Please have a look: Template: Embed the fields "header:", "footer:", "left:", "right:" in "main:"
or use in page layout -> rendering: css div

All settings are done in the CSS file.

Knut
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )